Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!

The following entry is from the weekly series "Danny Gill: Wekeela Historian" (often cited as FDR's primary source of inspiration for the Fireside Chats during WWII). Transcription courtesy of Asher Hecht and myself.

July 12, 1864. Evening.

Dear Diary,

    This Color War is INTENSE. I believe it is being taken far too literally. It is no longer green versus white, but instead blue versus grey. Instead of hatchets we get muskets, but the officers are terrible! It's been Lee versus Grant for five straight years. The alma maters have been fantastic and I can't decide if I like "Yankee Doodle" or "Heart of Dixie" more. Danny Milton wrote them both - he is perfect. The normal scoring system has been replaced with a casualty count which makes things much more interesting. Next week we are going on the sophomore trip to Harper's Ferry, which I hope is like the Songo River Queen.

The South will rise again!

P.D.A.W.S.S.G. III


No comments:

Post a Comment